Wednesday, February 29, 2012

ADVOCATE FOR YOURSELF!!!

Okay so today I had my Lap-Band appointment with my new doctors at Ft. Worth Lap Band. I was so impressed with them...they were kind,thorough,supportive, listened, and to sum it up AMAZING!!! While I was there I ran into a man who was transferring from Austin and basically had the same experience that I did...aka un-supportive medical staff. Now this is not to bash medical staff in general, because obviously I love my new medical miracle workers :)....However,when partnering a life time struggle with medical staff that do not listen to their patients, it can be a nightmare!!!
I will own my part though, I GAVE UP..and not only that, my biggest mistake was NOT ADVOCATING FOR MYSELF. Crazy enough, I am a social worker that spends everyday all day advocating for others and for some reason felt that when it came to my own life, "Doctor Knows Best", never considering MY doctor's could be WRONG!!! So what do I have to share from this experience that may help you...INVESTIGATE YOUR OPTIONS. I assumed that all Lap-Band doctors had to do the exact same thing and that I was the problem....Yes, at times you may be the problem, however, DO NOT ASSUME..investigate. It is your body, your health, and your future....seek answers and do not give up until you have a definitive answer for your problem. Bottom line...YOU HAVE A VOICE..SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment